Friday, March 11, 2011

Headless chicken

Work is crazed. 
I shall do something about posting on the weekend :)
Here is a flashback post from 4 July 2008

I arrive at work.

It is cold.
It is dark.
It is an ungodly hour of the morning.
I have only just bought my cup of coffee and have an elevator ride up three floors before I will drink it.
The security guard, an old Spanish man in his 50’s “psssts” at me.
He motions with his head for me to come over.
He takes me arm and leads me over into a corner.
He looks around to make sure no one is watching.
“You see that light?” he whispers in his thick Spanish accent.
He glancing briefly, discretely, upwards at the halogen spotlight above our heads.
Standing within the embrace of the light, I nod.
Hard to miss.
"Yes, Lenny."
“It only comes on when you enter the building.” he says
“You are the light of the building.”
“When you are not here, it is dark.”
I smile and flutter my eyelashes.
We do this everyday for a year.
The other security guard, a hungarian lady, sneaks me confectionary tidbits.
Somethings I miss about Sydney.
Nobody calls me the light of the building in Townsville.

1 comment: