Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm FREE!

Called to assemble for a meeting Wednesday afternoon, five minutes before due to log-off and be let loose for the evening, we are informed instructions have come from on-high that all labour hire employees are no longer required and I attempt to stifle my joy discretely and fail, whilst one of my favourite ladies starts to cry.

I am not cut out for call centre work, though perhaps I judge harsh and unfairly? 

I wasn't busy enough because I only knew how to do a little bit of what was required and we weren't allowed to read books or surf the web in-between calls which left me starring off into space figuratively gnawing off a virtual leg and trying to work out finances - as if one is claiming unemployment one is not really supposed to voluntarily leave a job without a good reason and thus apparently incurring a eight week wait before payments will start. 

Enforced stillness has a bad effect on me.  I get emotional and paranoid and like to burst into tears at the slightest provocation.  Completely ridiculous, I know, but I've never had any control over that part of myself and therefore a further downward spiral into self-loathing is like to start, so really ... I cannot express how grateful I am to be let go :)

I have a fridge.  I have chairs.  I have met some very very nice people.  I have even managed to pay off my credit card (though that probably won't last for long).  I have done well out of my last temp job.

No comments:

Post a Comment