Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saturday Night, and I ain't got no curry

I've pigged out on Thai Green Chicken Curry and been rude to a scruffy young man who said he was from holland, but whom sounded like he was more like from the western suburbs of Sydney.

Dark street. Angle parked cars. Scooter parked in the no parking zone. Lone portly female in singlet top loading up scooter.

Scruff: Can you tell me where Kelman is?
Me: No, sorry.
Scruff: Are you from around here?
Me: Not really.
Scruff: I'm from holland and don't know my way around. Where do you live?
(Friend of scruff who looks like he is on drugs says something incoherent. Possibly attempting to sound like he was talking in swedish or something)
Me: Over thataway (waves hand vaguely to left)
Scruff: Where's that?
Me: *names suburb* whilst continuing to put food and bag away and get helmet
Scruff: So how do I get there?
Me: Where?
Scruff: *names suburb*
Me: Follow the main road
Scruff: Which road is that then?
Me: Look I'm not very good with directions. Ask somebody else. Have a nice night.
(puts helmet on whilst ignoring scruffy dude and wishing that scooter would start properly but knowing it probably won't)
Scruff: Yea. I can see that. Don't have an accident.

I should have been more assertive earlier in the exchange - but I am not in a talkative mood - however if I'd gone with whole sentences earlier, such as "No I don't know where Kelman is. I don't know my way around. I'm sorry I cannot assist you. You should ask somebody else." Then potentially all further communication could have been avoided.

Of course, potentially not, but it would have meant I wasn't the first person being rude in such an ambiguous exchange. I probably haven't managed to convey how creepy and pushy he was being. Like a hard sell telstra salesperson except in a dark parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment